Review of the Tombow Mono Graph

About

        This is the 0.5mm version of this pencil, and can be found on Amazon.

Quality

        The body is all plastic except for a surprisingly thick and strong metal tip. The clip is made of the most flimsy, garbage plastic I have ever felt on a pencil. Since the pencil isn't pocket-safe, I wouldn't carry it anyway, but I'm afraid of attaching this to even a note-book. It has actually been holding up pretty well, but it's just embarrassingly cheap feeling. I feel like I'm going to break it every time I try to lock the shaker unless I do it with two hands, which is cumbersome. The clutch is brass, however. I get about 7mm of lead out with 10 clicks.





Writing Experience

        I quite enjoy writing with this pencil. It's quite paradoxical, but I have found that for plastic grips like this one the straight grip will actually out-grip the grooved grip because my finger will be able to get some friction on the plastic instead of slipping at the valleys and not getting enough contact at the troughs of a wavy grip. Really good grips do something in between by have having an overall straight grip with many thin rings cut around the pencil; this let your finger grab on the material and also dig into it a little bit at the same time, like a knurled grip.

        Because of the huge, dumb clip, it is uncomfortable to rotate this pencil as I write. Frankly, if it were a good, or even OK, clip I don't think I would mind as much, but that's not the case, so I'm seriously considering snapping it off.

        It comes with Tombow Lead. I like Tombow lead because it has good feedback and lasts longer. However, the line is not as dark as usual.

Features

        As you may have already gathered, this is a shaker pencil. But unlike my other shaker pencils, this one dispenses a more modest amount of lead, so I don't have to worry about over-shooting as much as usual, and that's whether in my hand or in my bag because you can lock the shaker mechanism by pushing the clip up towards the eraser. The clip also functions as a standard click mechanism by pushing down on it like usual.

        Speaking of the eraser, this one is long, thick, and replaceable. Awesome. I'm the type who doesn't mind carrying a stick, or even brick, eraser around, but I can leave those home without a problem if I'm using or carrying this pencil. As I expect from Mono, it eraser very well, and-- did I mention it's huge? I personally don't draw with this pencil, (or any) but I can see how an artist would be hugely appreciative for a pencil like this. It is very convenient in that regard.

Conclusion 

        I give this pencil a A- rating. Overall it's a great pencil with great features, but the disgrace and borderline insult that is the clip knocks it down a few points. (Pun intended.)



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Comments