Review of the Pentel Sharp P205

 

About

        This Pentel classic can be found at Amazon, but it is fairly common, so you can probably also find it at your local supermarket.

Quality

        The mechanism in this thing is super solid. It gives me a lot of control over the amount of lead that I push out, giving me only about 4mm of lead after ten clicks, and of how much lead I push back in with its precisely machined, tight fitting, 4mm sleeve. The barrel and lead reservoir are plastic, but its clear that every cent of the sub-$3 price tag (minus profit) went directly into the most important parts of the pencil: the mechanism, the sleeve, and the clip. All of which are made of steel or brass.

        I would like to quote here from the Amazon page.

The rigorous quality processes at Pentel ensure that each Sharp Mechanical Pencil meets the rigorous demands of professionals and students alike. Pentel is the only writing instrument manufacturer to receive the prestigious Deming Prize for manufacturing excellence.







Writing Experience

        I must say that I'm not used to grips as thin as this one. At first I had a bit of trouble writing comfortably with it, but if you have a good form it grips well and can be used very well, so now I actually write better and more relaxed than before because of this pencil. It is very light. I think most people want at least a little bit of heft in their pencils, myself included, but that does mean moving it around is effortless. The eraser super solid when in use.

Features

        Its pointed design makes this pencil very thin and light, which lets you see what you are doing. The pencil comes with a bunch of extra lead and an eraser that is very long and erases well. Finally, the metal clip is solid.

Conclusion

        I give this pencil an S rating. I really don't think you can get a better pencil than this at this price point, so I think it deserves the superlative rating.



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Comments