Review of the Zebra M-301

About

        This is the 0.7mm version of this pencil. You can purchase it at Amazon, but it is fairly common, so you can probably also find it at your local supermarket. The printing on the pencil has changed slightly since I got this one. I believe that is the only thing that has changed. Please leave a comment if that is not the case.

Quality

        The clutch is made of brass, and I get about 8mm of lead for 10 clicks. I really wish more companies would use stainless steel for their pencils. I think it makes for a better look and feel, and it allows for your pencil to bend and dent instead of becoming unusable in one fell snap. If you disassemble the pencil you can see how they are able to make a pencil like this in a really cost-effective way. For the price, I have no complaints.





Writing Experience

        This pencil has the best hard plastic grip of any pencil. It grips extremely well. The steel body helps keep my hand cool as I write, and rotating the pencil as I write isn't as annoying as usual because of the straight, flat clip. The eraser is solid when in use.

        Regarding 0.7mm size lead: I don't like it. It is a very disappointing lead size for me. Assuming you want a nice fine line, you want to get the smallest size possible. 0.5mm is the most common fine lead size you can get. If you get a lot of lead breakage with it, you are either using mechanical pencils incorrectly by extending the lead far too much, or you are a heavy-handed person. If you are heavy handed, 0.7mm isn't that much better than 0.5mm for lead breakage. 0.7mm also isn't that much better than 0.9mm on line width, but 0.9mm lead is much more resistant to breaking than 0.7mm lead. And to top it all off both 0.5mm and 0.9mm lead end up being cheaper than 0.7mm lead. 0.7mm sized lead is a total joke. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Features

        This is a cheap, no-nonsense pencil. The tip is not pocket safe, which is a shame since the steel body and clip, which I do consider as a feature at this price point, make this a pencil I wouldn't be ashamed in the least to carry around.

Conclusion

        I give this pencil an A rating. I found the width of this pencil a very nice middle ground between thin and thick, and the grip is very good. I don't know of any other pencils at this price range that have steel bodies, so this pencil definitely gets extra points for that. It's a shame that the tip does retract as that would have made it a really nice pencil to carry around.



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Comments